Reply To: Top Five

Home Forums Favourite writers Top Five Reply To: Top Five

Colliewobble
Participant

Hi Helen. Thank you so much for your feedback and for taking the time to read my story. I think I envisaged the character as a ‘her’, although I’m not sure it matters. It’s been a long time since I’ve read any Blake, but I’ve just ordered a copy of Songs of Innocence and Experience. It’s about time I got back into poetry. I think you’re absolutely right. As writers we can’t just ignore the suffering in the world, but I feel like it’s our job to shine the light of hope upon it. There seems to be a growing culture in the cinematic world at present, of stories that have unhappy or bleak endings. Can’t think of any titles off the top of my head, but they leave me feeling very unfulfilled and loathe to watch any more!

When I was at school (many years ago!) I remember being inspired by stories of good triumphing over evil, hope over despair. I wanted to be able to evoke that in a reader more than anything. I think knowing you could have someone else’s feelings in the palm of your hand comes with a responsibility. You want to leave that person with something to hope for.

Many thanks for your feedback. It’s spurred me on! I’ll look forward to my copy of Blake arriving. You do realise that if we continue to stay in touch, we’ll spend a fortune on books!! :)