Do writing groups help?

Home Forums General Do writing groups help?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HarryStotle
    Participant

I’m thinking of joining a writing group near where I live in Ipswich but am a bit nervous about the idea. I was wondering if anyone on here is or has been a member of such a group and what their experience is or was. I’m just a bit intimidated by the thought of reading my personal writing to a bunch of strangers. Should I just relax a bit and go with it?

Colliewobble
    Participant

Hi Harry,
    I’ve been thinking about it too but haven’t done anything yet. I suppose writing is there to be read, so maybe just go with it? I know it’s hard thinking that you’ve spilled your guts on the page and others will hear it, but I suppose that’s the whole point, otherwise it lacks heart. Let me know how you get on if you decide to go ahead.

HarryStotle
    Participant

Yes, I get your point – what’s the point in writing if no-one gets to see it? I know some writers like to kid themselves that they are writing just for themselves but I think we all crave feedback – or just to know that it’s not just sitting on your computer’s hard-drive. That is just dispiriting.
    This website offers feedback on this forum and I’ve already felt encouraged by a story I posted up here and I think I will post another but I think I might just join a local writers’ group rather than a specific course.

emmab
    Participant

How did you find the writing group? I’m just getting going, and I feel like a group would actually help me a lot, but not sure where to look/who to ask.

HarryStotle
    Participant

Hi emmab, I just asked at my local library and they had details of a couple in my area. I went along to a couple of meetings and while it was very friendly and welcoming, in the end I felt it wasn’t for me. As well as the library, I’ve tried the website meetup.com which is quite good. In the end, if you can’t find something that suits you, why not start one up yourself? Just post on a library or community centre noticeboard or a local website service like “Spotted in (Ipswich).” Good luck!

Les Clarke
    Participant

Hi folks. I joined a well-established writing group last year. It was quite harrowing coming into a room with 16 people all sat there who all knew each other and I had to introduce myself and tell them about myself and my writing. But, I needn’t have worried, they all made me very welcome and the course ran for 6 weeks and I’ve done three now and it really is challenging. You’re giving a theme or you choose a photo or it might be you have to write about ‘conflict’ or some other emotion and you have to do it there and then in 6 minutes on a timer! And then you read your work back to the group and they comment. It’s amazing how we can all have the same topic some weeks but we all see it and write about it in our own way. Go for it, that’s what I say. Les

Kit-Kat
    Participant

Hi Les, how did you come across your group? Were they well-established?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.