Does self-publishing put off publishers?

Home Forums General Does self-publishing put off publishers?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    orcus
    Participant

To self-publish or not to self-publish? I don’t know if anyone has any strong feelings about this but a few years ago I self-published a book based around my own life story. Then I decided to see if I could get it accepted by a mainstream publisher and (to my surprise) was told by one that they liked it. However, when I told them I had already self-published it, they lost interest. I know these are their rules but I only had a short 100 book print run done and then managed to sell just 26. I don’t think such a small project is going to impact on their potential sales.

Kit-Kat
    Participant

It’s a red line for most publishers I’m afraid. I think there are legal reasons in addition to others for not being able to take on pre-published work. I would exhaust all potential submissions before going down the self-publish route although it didn’t hurt Mark Twain, George Orwell or Margaret Atwood to name a few. Also, I think the author of The Martian started it off as an on-line blog. So never say never.

orcus
    Participant

Also that author who wrote the Shades of Grey series.
    Even if you don’t care for the material, the story to publication is a fascinating one.
    Here’s the Wiki link (scroll down to ‘Background and Publication’)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.