First chapter

Home Forums Feedback First chapter

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    emmab
    Participant

Hi folks! I was wondering if someone might have a few minutes to read through and give first thoughts on a chapter for something I’ve recently started. I don’t have a good sense of whether it’s any good, and I’m definitely concerned about the tense (simple present). Also, doesn’t yet have a working title.
    Any thoughts welcome!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kit-Kat
    Participant

Hey emmab. Thanks for sharing that with us. Before I comment, I have to say that while I write a bit and read a lot, I have never had anything published so I’m certainly no expert in the field.
    I think that you have gone all out to create a really strong character in this first chapter. It’s also a very modern character and one that a lot of women will identify with. Your descriptions of place are good, but maybe on occasions, you could be a little more economical with them and demonstrate the point with an observation. For example, instead of actually saying the baby was sick in the car you could just mention in passing her wiping away the mess (with a sigh). That way you get the information across via the character expressing her feelings. I think I can get a sense of what’s coming but would like this to be stronger as in a hook. I want something in that first chapter that is going to worry me until I know the answer. That, along with your strong character will make me want to read on. I also want some names! Is there a secret reason why none of three figures have been named?
    In a nutshell, describe what’s happening via what the character does and put a hook – or two – in there to make the reader want more. Using a present tense is just fine.
    Hope that helps!

emmab
    Participant

That’s super helpful Kit-Kat, thanks! I’ll finish the next chapter, I think, and then revise the first :)

Also (is this cheeky?) I’d love to know where you think this is going. I think I know where it is, but about other potential routes! :)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by emmab.
    Kit-Kat
    Participant

First an apology about not knowing the names of the characters…Thalia! It’s right there on the page. Three times! And Josh. I don’t know how I missed that. :wacko:

I was thinking that maybe the salesperson Josh was looking for was going to turn out to be her and that there might be some sort of comic role-reversal where he would have to stay at home and look after baby while she became the main breadwinner.

Warm?

emmab
    Participant

No worries! I haven’t named the baby at all, if it makes you feel better. Three chapters in, she’s still nameless :(

That’s deffo a warm and fuzzy approach. I was thinking dark rabbit hole :O.

Thank you for reading, and your thoughts, I’ve gone back and made some tweaks!

Kit-Kat
    Participant

Oooh! I prefer dark rabbit hole! And it reflects much better on your first chapter that I can’t predict what’s coming.

Helen
    Participant

An excellent ‘slice-of-life’ style writing emmab. We are so much in those scenes, I think we can smell that baby sick! More to the point, we can feel the frustration and stoicism of Thalia and know that something is going to blow.

emmab
    Participant

Thanks, Helen! That’s good to know. Also, ‘slice of life’ style, not a term I knew, so thanks for that, too :)

emmab
    Participant

Just wanted to revisit this thread and say thanks to @kit-kat and @helen for your feedback. It kind of maybe became a novel. I have no idea if it’s printable, if anyone will bother with it. But I totally did the thing, and I’m grateful to you both for your help that first week.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.