Get up and go!

Home Forums Breaking the block Get up and go!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    HarryStotle
    Participant

Doing some physical exercise often changes the brain-chemistry. Absolutely the worst thing about writing is the hours you spend sitting on your backside staring at a computer screen. Go for a run. Better, take up a sport. Exercise plus fun is a great stimulus to the mind. Whatever way you do it, a sweat can work wonders.

FreddieR
    Participant

I live near a river and have just taken up cold water swimming. I know it sounds crazy but once you get over the shock, it really does stimulate the mind. Much better than coffee for waking you up!

Colliewobble
    Participant

Brrrr!! I bet it does! I live near a forest and have a Border Collie (hence the nickname!). I agree, exercise is the best thing for stimulating your mind…and your mood. A walk in the woods gives me thinking time.

FreddieR
    Participant

Yes, your mood as well. Definitely, if you are feeling low, don’t reach straight for the booze. Do some exercise.
    Then reach for the booze! : )
    On a more serious note, I have found that the more I go cold water swimming, the easier it gets. I am really conditioning my brain not to panic and to remember that it’s going to be okay because I did this before and survived.
    I got the idea from a Dutch guy called Wim Hof who has world records in ice bath endurance and has a big following online. He claims that it has benefits for strengthening the immune system and protecting against dementia. I don’t know if these claims have been independently validated but just doing what I do makes me feel better.
    Of course it’s still only the start of December. Let’s see how I fare after some real icy blasts in January and February…….

Colliewobble
    Participant

Heh! Good tip! I imagine wild swimming is more fulfilling mentally than an ice bath. I think I’d rather freeze looking at nature than at my bathroom tiles! Good luck in January and February!

FreddieR
    Participant

You’re right about nature, Colliewobble. A seal came right up close to the beach yesterday while I was drying myself after a swim. Don’t see many of those in your bathroom!

Colliewobble
    Participant

Wow! Definitely worth a chill!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.