List

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    orcus
    Participant

There’s a whole list here.I haven’t entered any of them. Would be good to know if anyone on this forum has.

Writing Competitions

Colliewobble
    Participant

Thanks for that, I haven’t heard of most of those. I’ve entered a competition on Global Soup. Just to be clear, it’s the second competition I’ve ever entered. I’m definitely a newbie! They have a 7 day writing challenge you can sign up for. You’re put into a genre group, given the theme and genre on Day 1 and have 7 days to write up to 2000 words. £500 prize for the winner. There is a Facebook group for linking up with other candidates, but I’m not on Facebook. Entry is free.

HarryStotle
    Participant

Good tip, CW. My biggest problem is deadlines….not having any! I will go back to a piece and tweak it endlessly unless I have a clear deadline. Seven days is a real challenge but the sort that will get me focused and motivated. I find that the narrower the parameters – either on time or theme – the more likely I am to finish something. And I can’t quite believe that a free-to-enter competition is offering a £500 prize. Amazing.

I am probably the sort of person who would find a PENALTY instead of a prize even more motivational! : )

Hmmmmmm, could be a story in that idea……….

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by HarryStotle.
    Colliewobble
    Participant

Oooh! Definitely a story in that idea…
    I agree, finding the time is the trickiest thing. At the moment I have some and it’s a novelty, but it won’t last! Apologies too, it’s Globe Soup (not global!). They have a new 7 day challenge regularly. You can sign up but miss a challenge and enter a later one if you like. Have fun if you give it a go!

HarryStotle
    Participant

Hi CW. I was thinking about this as a story idea but realised that anyone who writes is already suffering! The penalties are myriad but off the top of my head: frustration, guilt and disappointment. I think that’s enough!
    : )

Colliewobble
    Participant

Hi Harry. For me, interesting stories always need you to care about the character. Then if they get into trouble you worry for them and want a good outcome. Authors have such power! Suffering is part of life, but authors can give that suffering a happy end. I think that’s what made me want to write in the first place. Stories have been told throughout human history. They have the power to make us feel. That’s worth a risk.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.