Top Five

Home Forums Favourite writers Top Five

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Colliewobble
    Participant

Hi Helen. Thank you so much for your feedback and for taking the time to read my story. I think I envisaged the character as a ‘her’, although I’m not sure it matters. It’s been a long time since I’ve read any Blake, but I’ve just ordered a copy of Songs of Innocence and Experience. It’s about time I got back into poetry. I think you’re absolutely right. As writers we can’t just ignore the suffering in the world, but I feel like it’s our job to shine the light of hope upon it. There seems to be a growing culture in the cinematic world at present, of stories that have unhappy or bleak endings. Can’t think of any titles off the top of my head, but they leave me feeling very unfulfilled and loathe to watch any more!

When I was at school (many years ago!) I remember being inspired by stories of good triumphing over evil, hope over despair. I wanted to be able to evoke that in a reader more than anything. I think knowing you could have someone else’s feelings in the palm of your hand comes with a responsibility. You want to leave that person with something to hope for.

Many thanks for your feedback. It’s spurred me on! I’ll look forward to my copy of Blake arriving. You do realise that if we continue to stay in touch, we’ll spend a fortune on books!! :)

Colliewobble
    Participant

Hi Helen,
    I hope you are well. I just wanted you to know that I’ve really enjoyed reading Blake again after a very long pause. Particularly Tyger Tyger Burning Bright! Thanks for the tip.

Helen
    Participant

Hi CW,
    The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared arrived last week but I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to open it yet. I work at a school and next week is our last week of term. After that I have lots of time over Christmas to catch up on my reading (and writing).

Having mentioned it to you, I have prompted myself to return to Blake and review some of my favourite verses. Apart from the enjoyment of just reading the poems, it’s good to read them alongside the illustrations which provide greater depth to the experience. Also, my enjoyment is definitely enhanced knowing some of the symbolism he used. For example, trees and forests often represent knowledge and the psyche but flowers and children innocence. And Tyger is the flip side of Lamb in the ‘Innocence’ section. Some interpretations have this as Blake seeing the first coming of Jesus as an innocent, meek lamb to the slaughter but the second coming will be as a tiger!

Colliewobble
    Participant

Hi Helen,
    I hope you enjoy Christmas week at school. I work in a school too and am returning next week for a phased intro after illness. I think I’ll have to revisit some poems now in light of your comments. Many thanks. Hope you enjoy the book over Christmas. I’ve got three chapters left!

Helen
    Participant

:good:

Helen
    Participant

Phew! Just finished the 100 Year-old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared. What an epic story. Great beginning. Absolutely hilarious and riveting opening chapters then it sags a bit – too much about Chinese politics I think – but cleverly structured with updates on Allan’s progress with his bizarre range of friends that he collects along the way. And, of course, he meets all these famous people and influences world events. Shades of Forrest Gump I thought. What do you think?
    Thanks for the recommendation, CW. Another triumph!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.